When crashes and collisions leave you suffering serious injuries, The Law Firm of David C Chavez is the Law Firm that can get you the right for your recovery.
Car accidents are an unfortunately common occurrence throughout New Mexico. Even a minor crash or collision can end up causing you serious personal injuries. In the aftermath of an accident, it is important to be aware of what you need to do to protect your rights to compensation. As one of the most experienced Personal and Tragic Injury attorney’s in New Mexico, the David C. Chavez Law Firm recommends the following tips.
Under the New Mexico Statutes , drivers have certain legal duties in the aftermath of a collision resulting in injuries or property damages. Failing to adhere to these requirements could not only jeopardize your rights in a car accident claim, but could also result in criminal charges. Follow these steps to protect yourself:
● Stop your vehicle at the accident scene, taking care not to block the roadway if possible;
● Notify law enforcement immediately.
● Exchange personal contact, driver’s license, vehicle registration, and insurance information with the other drivers involved; take pictures.
● Call an ambulance.
● Record the other driver admitting fault.
Also, contact your car insurance provider of your collision as soon as possible. They will likely request copies of the police report, as well as a statement from you about the accident and how it occurred.
In addition to your legal obligations, there are additional steps you need to take to protect yourself after a car accident . One of the most important steps is seeking medical attention. Even if you suspect your injuries are minor or you are not exhibiting symptoms, it is important to get checked out by your doctor or the nearest hospital emergency room immediately. Many potentially serious injuries have symptoms which can take days or weeks to appear. In addition to worsening your condition, Allstate Insurance warns that not getting medical care could be used as grounds to deny your claim.
In addition to protecting your health, follow these additional steps to protect your rights after a car accident:
● Document the accident. Use your cell phone to take multiple photos from different angles of the accident scene, the vehicles involved, and your injuries.
● Make note of exactly where your crash occurred. There may be video monitors on nearby traffic signals or in stores, which could have caught the crash on tape.
● Get the names of any witnesses. While law enforcement should do this, make sure no one was overlooked.
● Follow your doctor’s instructions. Attend all follow up appointments and refrain from engaging in work or other activities until cleared to do so.
When car accidents leave you suffering serious injuries, The Law Firm of David C. Chavez is here to help. Contact one of New Mexico’s Top Trial Attorney’s, David C. Chavez now and request a consultation to discuss your case.